This post contains associate links. No additional costs are added.
It’s raining today. Summer is taking a nap. And I’m craving Chicken Divan. Rich, creamy, cheesy. I could eat a whole pan on my own. No joke. I mean, have you had Chicken Divan? The very week my doctor said I could add goat dairy into my diet, we had Chicken Divan for dinner. It’s in our meal plan for once every other month. I would do it more often but I don’t want to get sick of it. (Have I told you? I tend to be an obsessive lover of things to the point of overload and then the love is gone. For example, I’ll play a favorite song on repeat over and over until suddenly I can’t bear hearing it ever again. Except Nara by E.S. Posthumus. Somehow that song has stood strong against my fickle love. Listening to it right now in fact.)
Well, I’ve found a way to have more Chicken Divan in our lives: a Mexican variation! It all started with this: ground coriander. Love. It has a different flavor to fresh coriander / cilantro. It almost has a lemon grass twinge. It’s complex and fresh. I’ve been adding it to all kinds of things lately: black beans, guacamole, taco meat etc. Ground coriander adds a sophisticated flavor punch. I highly recommend trying it in your fav Mexican dishes!
In a flash of genius, I thought to add some ground coriander to my Chicken Divan in place of the typical curry powder. Then I kept adding other Mexican-esque spices to the mix. And the results were delicious!! Each time I make it I use different amounts of the spices. It’s totally customizable to your preferences. Smell and taste the yogurt mixture as you add elements. Have fun and follow your senses! Love love love having two styles of Chicken Divan in our meal plan.
MEXICAN CHICKEN DIVAN
GF | CDF | SF | MF
– 4 chicken breasts (cooked &chopped) – 3C steamed broccoli (chopped)
– 3C goat yogurt (or non-dairy sub) – 2C mushrooms (chopped & sautéed)
– 1C mayo (or sub) – 2T lime juice
– 1/2C your fav salsa – 1tsp garlic powder
– 1/2tsp chili powder – 1tsp ground coriander
– 1tsp ground cumin – 1tsp onion powder
– 1T dried parsley – salt & pepper to taste
– 1C mix of your fav df cheese substitutes – coconut oil spray or similar
– 2 – 3C GF bread crumbs or cubes with your fav DF butter sub (I use coconut oil)
– (optional) For extra veggie power: I’ve added pureed veggies like spinach, butternut and/or sweet potato to the yogurt mix. It will change the flavor of your dish so use veggies that you and your family like.
1. Grease a large casserole dish with coconut oil spray and preheat oven to 350F.
2. Combine yogurt, sautéed mushrooms, mayo, lime juice, salsa, herbs & spices, and df cheeses. Add salt and pepper to taste. This yogurt mixture should have a strong flavor. Add more salsa, herbs & spices to taste if needed. Have fun customizing!
3. Put steamed broccoli in the casserole dish. Then layer cooked chicken. Top with yogurt mixture.
4. Top with “buttered” bread cubes / crumbs.
5. Bake at 350F for 1 hour or until bread cubes are browned.
Mmmmmm. Warm, cheesy goodness.